Southern East Anglia (SEA) Area Meeting (AM) refers to the group of Friends living within Southern East Anglia and to the business meetings they hold. Local Meetings report to the Area Meeting and together discern matters of common interest. SEA AMs are held every two months in different Meeting Houses.
Local or Area Meetings for Worship for Business are conducted in what is called the Quaker business method. These meetings begin in silence and allow time between contributions for silent and respectful reflection and for spiritual discernment. This leads to a sense of shared understanding and unity in decision-making. The outcome is not necessarily one that everyone agrees with, but one that all present can accept, in the knowledge that their views have been heard and considered.
Find out more about the Quaker business method:
- “In Right Ordering” – an Introduction to Meeting for Worship for Business, by the Elders of Colchester Meeting
- Quaker Business Method, described by the Quakers and Business Group
- Quaker faith and practice Chapter 3 “General counsel on church affairs” passage 3.04:
- Meeting for Sufferings Papers; the main work of Quakers in Britain
Recent business information
Click on the toggle to open the relevant information.
In preparation for our next Area Meeting
Preparing for the next Area Meeting
SEAQM Area Meeting at Colchester Meeting House, 6 Church Street, Colchester CO1 1NF, Sunday January 14, 2.15 pm
Meeting for Sufferings Report
Download our helpful guide to Quaker abbreviations.Download
Download the following documents relevant to our Area Meeting.
- AM Memorandum of Understanding
- SEAQM Safeguarding Policy 09.01.2017
- Trustees Handbook
- AM Annual Report & Accounts 2016
- AM Annual Report and Accounts 2015
- AM Annual Report and Accounts 2014
- AM Annual Report and Accounts 2013
- AM Reserves Policy
- “Data safety and information security: guidance for meetings“
- 2015 Bursary Application form
- 2015 Guidelines for Elders, Overseers etc Bursary Appns
- AM Governing Document
- Sudbury MH Booking Form – March 2017
Meeting for Sufferings (MfS) reports:
Reports of Quaker conferences:
End of Life Issues Report to July Area Meeting 2016
Alternatives to Trident Report March 2015
Meeting for Sufferings Report February 2015